Maybelline New York The Falsies Volum' Express Washable Mascara.(mascara)

Much Better than Expected, February 7, 2011
By AnonymousRM "RM" (Connecticut, USA) :

I had grown weary of Maybelline's constant introduction and discontinuation of mascaras. I was almost ready to give up on the company entirely when it discontinued my long favorites "Lash Stylist" and "Sky High Curves". I got "The Falsies" with a promotion at a local drug store or I'd probably never have tried it. Well, much to my surprise it's actually very good. I don't get the reviews about the clumping and other issues. This mascara is surprisingly non-clumpy and I think I should know about clumps because I've been using mascara since about 1974, when I started with the now iconic "Great Lash". In fact, "The Falsies" mascara is so non-clumpy it's refreshing. It clumps a LOT less than previous Maybelline technology, even mascaras I used to love like "Lash Stylist" and "Sky High Curves". It's also very lightweight and does not feel heavy on the eyes even with multiple coats. On top of that, it's VERY gentle and great for those with sensitive eyes and who wear contact lenses like me. It's full of natural ingredients, vitamins and plant extracts, too, so it's a lot more natural than mascaras of previous generations.

I find that it does pretty much everything you'd want a mascara to do. It lengthens, thickens, curls, defines and sharpens the color. I honestly feel like my eyelashes look younger with this product on! They are so full, lush, dark and long that I almost can't believe it!

I also have news for all of you out there. Does anyone read the ingredient lists on these products anymore? Because guess what - The ingredients in pretty much ALL of the latest crop of Maybelline Mascaras are virtually identical. That's right - Every single Volume Express, Define a lash, Pulse Perfection, One by One, Falsies and whatever else is on the market have the exact same ingredients in them, in exactly the same order. Maybe one ingredient will be different in each one way down the list (and hence very inconsequential). The only real difference is the packaging and the brush.

So there you go, people, you are being outwitted by corporate American marketing schemes. I'll bet the people at Maybelline are doing a study on how the packaging and the brush can make the difference between love and hate for some consumers. I'll bet there are millions of women out there who'd hate this mascara but have nothing but love, love, love for Define a Lash, never even knowing that the only real difference between them is the stupid brush, LOL.

So if ever there's a Maybelline mascara that you sorely miss, don't fret - Just keep the old brush (make sure to wash it thoroughly and often) and use it in another similar Maybelline mascara. I'll bet you'll never know the difference. I kept a few of the combs from "Lash Stylist" but now that we have other brushes out there like the curved one in "The Falsies" and the big fat one in "One by One", I have not felt the need to use them. Although I did fall in love with "Pulse Perfection", which has recently been discontinued. Now that I know its ingredients are identical to the other Maybelline Mascaras, I'll save that brush and use it until the battery runs out.

Oh, and by the way, those of you who are complaining here about clumps and other issues might not be using the brush correctly. Perhaps you might do better with one of the other Maybelline mascaras that don't have a curved brush. But don't throw this mascara away on that account - Clean and use a brush from another Maybelline mascara that you like with this mascara, because it's all really the same formula anyway. And go on Youtube and get some pointers on how to use different mascara brushes. That's just some advice from a 52 year old who's been wearing mascara since she was 15!

My new Favorite!!, October 12, 2010
By Dimples (SD, Ca USA) :

I love this Mascara! It makes my lashes look HUGE in every way. Now to be fair, I LOVED Maybelline's previously "most hated" mascara in the yellow tube, the Colossal. It may be how I apply these products, or my desired finished look works with the formulas.

I love the new brush. I thought it would be awkward and take some time to adjust to, I was SO wrong. First application was easy and lashes looked great! I do sometimes hit my eye (yes my eyeball) with traditional brushes & this scoop brush solved that problem.

The formula is much thinner than I'm use to, but I like how easy it is to apply and adjust with the brush. It does not dry as fast as other mascaras, hooray!! This gives me plenty of time to build volume & length and separate occasional clumps (an unavoidable part of drugstore mascara). Even with multiple coats my lashes feel light and flexible.

The removal is harder than most, but some jojoba oil on a cotton ball takes it right off & conditions your lashes too.

One plus about its unusual staying power, I was drinking water and it splashed onto one eye drenching my lashes. Fearing raccoon syndrome I grabbed my mirror. Not one streak, clump, or other issue. I guess the regular is as good as waterproof. I won't be trying the waterproof ;)
-make up-